Search This Blog

Monday, July 14, 2014

Twin Peaks

Oh boy, am I sorry I haven't been able to write much lately.  I've been very very busy.  My boss took the week off last week and that plus some other things made it so I had to work overtime last week.  I was very tired and had to get up early too, so I just prioritized sleep a little higher than blogging.  :P

Well I went on a new adventure this weekend. I climbed Twin Peaks!  Sadly I wasn't able to make it all the way to the summit, I was about 45min-hour away from it though.  That was a really difficult climb.  Once above the treeline there isn't a good trail anymore and lots of loose rock on a very steep incline.  It was kind of scary actually.  My friend was a good 20 ft above me and at one point she went out of view.  I heard a bunch of rocks falling and feared she had slipped.  Turns out she had just kicked some big rocks loose but she was ok.  Once we got passed that and to the saddle portion we looked at the steep rockface we would have to traverse to get to the summit and we were done.  Too much strength and energy spent just getting as far as we'd gotten and we felt a little uncomfortable with making the next part of the climb with how steep it was.  Twin Peaks is definitely not one of my favorite climbs.  On the way back down we didn't dare try and go back down the loose rock so we picked a different path through a large snow patch.  It was kind of fun sliding down that snow on our bums, but it was pretty cold and steep and there were rocks interspersed throughout the snow so we had to be careful about not picking up too much speed.  Our hands really hurt too from being in the cold snow so long.  We used them to slow us down.  It was an experience for sure :)  And now I have a wicked sunburn from it all.  It's worse on my left side because of the part going up the loose rocks.  Sun was on my left and it took a LONG time to climb that section.  I'm not sorry I did it.  I'm just disappointed I wasn't able to summit.  Oh well.

1 comment: