Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Happiness

A few days ago I had the beginning of a thought :P  It had to do with feeling emotions more deeply than the average experience of feeling. Ah yes, I remember now. I was thinking about how I have such a hard time trying to find things that make me happy. I had the idea that maybe I have such a hard time because my experiences of feeling happy have been strong deep experiences and so trying to replicate that same level of intensity doesn't often work and I am left feeling what I describe as neutral or sometimes even "blah". And this discourages me because I want to feel like I did before. I guess it becomes a trick of perception. After all neutral is better than misery, and we can't feel really happy all the time. That leaves me with the task of fighting the anxiety I start to feel when it seems like I'm slipping down the happiness scale toward misery. It all comes back to trying to focus on the positives...and breathing :)

2 comments:

  1. I definitely know what you mean about that "blah" feeling.

    By the way, if you haven't read Ally Brosh's book Hyperbole and a Half, you SERIOUSLY need to read this. It's therapy for me.

    Start with Adventures in Depression Part 1 & 2:

    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html

    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

    Here's a link to her book on Amazon. I love it so much I bought the hard cover version. I'd lend it to you if I were in Utah!

    http://www.amazon.com/Hyperbole-Half-Unfortunate-Situations-Mechanisms/dp/1451666179

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have that "blah" feeling. You can never get that euphoria happy feeling back everytime. If your content then your happy. I love you girl

    ReplyDelete